Updated: 02/08/2017 4:53 PM
Print Story |
"El Diablito" Shredded Chicken and Vegetable Stew
Amalia Moreno-Damgaard is an award-winning and bestselling author. She was born and raised in Guatemala City but we're lucky she calls the Twin Cities her home. She stopped by to share her recipe for "El Diablito" Shredded Chicken and Vegetable Stew.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup julienne yellow onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup julienne carrots
- 1 cup julienne chayote squash
- 1 tbsp tomato paste dissolved in a little chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add the oil to a hot skillet and sauté the onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrots and chayote squash gradually for a total of 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, the shredded chicken and chicken stock. Season with the lime juice, salt and pepper, and taste.
Serve with Nicaragua style guacamole, chile criollo, queso seco rallado, gallo pinto, crema acida, and tortillas.