Updated: 12/21/2016 3:32 PM
Print Story |
2016 was the year of Brangelina , The Mannequin Challenge and Pokemon took over the world. We think it's safe to say we're going to forget about Brad and Ang and pop-culture trends come and go. So do beauty trends. For example, TCL Beauty Guru Sara Bartlett says "Instagram Eyebrows" are out. Sara stopped by to tell us what is out….and what will be hot in the beauty world in 2017!
- Instagram eyebrows - Characterized by razor sharp, perfected brows that look stamped on.
- Overlined lips - Another trend that we can thank the Kardashians for, this has become Kylie Jenner's signature. Line lips outside the natural line at the bottom and cupid's bow to create the illusion of more volume.
- Baking your makeup - This technique, where you pack on translucent powder and leave it to "bake" on your concealer, is another Instagram favorite. It creates a super flawless finish that lasts a long time and is also super time consuming and can dry your skin.
- Bold 80's inspired blush - Get ready to flush in the new year because blush is having a moment. The technique is called draping; you place your blush high up on the cheekbones to make them appear more pronounced. And the color? Bright! Here's how to do it right: start with a neutral blush, and dust it on your cheekbones. Blend the edges with a fluffy brush. Now, top that with a blush shade that's a couple shade brighter than your neutral. Lightly dust the brighter shade toward the apples of your cheeks. Then blend the edges with that fluffy brush.
- Side-swept hair - In another nod toward the 80's, this hairstyle is popping up all over the place. I love it because the effect is a little romantic and so easy.
- Cranberry eye shadow - You can find this shade at the drugstore and at high end makeup counters, but cranberry eyeshadow can go south real quick if you skip one important step: you need to blend it with a warm brown shade, right through the crease of your eyelid. This creates a soft, diffused look instead of one that is stark and harsh.