Updated: 11/17/2016 4:28 PM
Print Story |
Corn Crab Cakes
Mystic Lake is a busy spot for Thanksgiving. A ton of food is made. Chef Erik from the Mystic Steakhouse will be cooking non-stop all day for guests. Some of the traditional foods have a unique flare. Emily went to Mystic to see how cranberry sauce or jam can used with Corn Crab Cakes for a delicious appetizer on the big day.
4 pounds Lump Crab Meat, drained
½ cup Red onion, minced
½ cup Poblano pepper, minced
½ cup Celery, minced
.25 oz. Sage, chiffonade
2/3 Cup Egg yolk, pasteurized
1 1/2 cup Croutons, crushed
2 Cups Corn cream, see recipe below*
2 ea lemon, zest of, minced
2 tsp Sea Salt
As needed Panko
- *Corn cream: Reduce 3 cups of heavy cream with 1 cup of fresh shucked corn for 30 minutes at low simmer. Puree, strain out corn and cool cream.
- Drain all liquid that is in the can of crab and discard.
- Place the crab in a mixing bowl with salt, onion, pepper, sage and celery.
- Combine cooled cream, lemon zest and egg yolk.
- Add the wet mixture to the crab and gently mix together not breaking up the crab.
- Once the mixture is brought together, leave sit for 30 minutes to bind all the ingredients.
- This needs to be done because this is a very wet mixture and this will help set the bread crumbs.
- Portion crab cakes into 3 oz portions into panko and lightly coat, do not pack crumbs onto cakes.
- For service: Place crab cakes into a hot sauté pan and pan sear one side. Flip over and place in oven for 3 minutes to finish. Serve with Gingered Cranberry Jam.
NOTE : The crab cakes mix should be somewhat wet. Don’t over mix. Leave the crab in larger pieces.
Gingered Cranberry Jam
5 Pounds Cranberries, fresh
5 Cups Sugar
3.5 Cups Apple juice
2 ea Orange zest
1 ea Lemon zest
1 ea Cinnamon Stick
2 ea Vanilla bean, split
¼ Cup Ginger, fresh, grated
2 Tbsp Red Pepper flakes
1 Tbsp Sea salt, coarse
- Place all ingredients in a non-reactive sauce pan. Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer until thickened about 1.5 hours. Skim foam as necessary that rises to top.
- Remove vanilla halves and cinnamon stick and pulse with immersion blender to coarsely blend. Cool down.