Updated: 12/29/2016 10:11 AM
Print Story |
Chili Showdown Presented by MN Beef Council
As if sitting down to watch the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday won’t be entertaining enough for you, we are amping up game day even more! The Minnesota Beef Council presents a chili showdown.
Chili certainly has a way of uniting people around a warm bowl of goodness. How you like your chili is another story. Some people like it chunky while others prefer something with more broth. Many like beans in the mix, but some purists stick to beef only. Whatever tickles your chili fancy, there are a few key ingredients that make any pot a hit!
First up is Chef Jeff Anderson, the Culinary Brand Manager for Blue Plate Restaurant Company with his chili recipe.
Chili con Carne
2 T Ancho Chile Powder
2 oz Canola oil
3 cups Yellow onion
8 Garlic cloves
6 Roasted Poblano Peppers
28 oz Tomato Filets canned
2 T Cumin
½ tsp Ground Allspice
¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 T Dried Oregano
2 T Tamarind Paste
10 oz Shiner Bock
1 T Kosher Salt
1. Pat the steak dry with a clean paper towel, and season with the kosher salt, let stand for 10 minutes. Combine the tomato paste, ancho chile powder and a little of the beer to thin the paste out to creamy consistency that can be rubbed onto the meat. ?
2. Smoke for roughly 2 hours with indirect heat to an internal temperature of 140 degrees. ?
3. Remove from smoker and cover with foil for 20 minutes. ?
4. Pull or cut the steak into small bite sized pieces, 1 1⁄2”. ?
5. Dice the Poblano peppers to 1”. ?
6. Heat a cast iron soup pot with the canola oil to almost smoking, add the onions and stir continuously to keep from burning, onions will soften and begin to brown. Reduce heat to medium and add the spices, stir to incorporates the spices. Add the smoked steak and Poblano peppers, cook for 5 minutes ?
7. Reduce heat to low and add the tomatoes, beer, tamarind, oregano and garlic and let simmer for 1 hour. ?
8. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Chef Mitch Wachman from Bonfire Restaurant Company gives us his favorite chili recipe.
Bull Bite Chili
1.5 Lbs Chuck Roast / Stew Meat cut ½ inch cubes
2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbl Cajun Spice – Bull Bite Seasoning
1 Cup Onions, medium dice
½ Cup Red Peppers, medium dice
½ Cup Green Peppers, medium dice
1 Tbl Chipotle peppers, pureed
1/2 Tbl Beef Base
1/2 Tbl Chicken Base
2 tsp Cumin, ground
2 tsp Chili Powder
½ tsp Black Pepper, Table Ground
1-14 oz Can Great Northern Beans
3-8 oz Cans Tomato Sauce
1-14.5oz.Can Diced Tomatoes
1. Dry rub beef cubes with Bull Bite seasoning (Cajun Spices) and let rest for 30 minutes or overnight
2. Sear the Beef in a large cast iron skillet using the 2 Tbl of Olive Oil
3. Lower heat to medium
4. Add Onions and peppers
5. Add Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and Chipotle peppers
6. Add all remaining ingredients except Great Northern Beans
7. Cover with heat lowered to medium low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until meat is tender
8. Stir every 10 to 15 minutes
9. Once meat is fork tender add Can of Great Northern Beans with liquid
10. Simmer for another 15 to 25 minutes
11. Remove from heat and serve
12. Topped with shredded cheese, green onions and Cilantro sour cream
For more great beef tailgating recipes and information, visit the Minnesota Beef Council on the web at www.mnbeef.org.