Updated: 08/01/2016 3:59 PM
Print Story |
Taste the Trend: Blueberry Pancake Muffins
Recipes are being shared on Facebook and when you see them you probably think they look so good and it looks so easy to make! But are they really as good as they look? Who better to test out these recipes than a recipe developer? We put Cookbook writer, Mary Jane Miller, to work testing out Blueberry Pancake Muffins that have been shared over 38,000 times.
125 grams ( 1 cup) plain flour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
120 milliliters (1/2 cup) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blueberries (about 18)
1. Mix together the plain flour, caster sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then mix in the melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
2. Pour the pancake batter into 6 cases of a non-stick muffin tin and place about 3 blueberries on top of each pancake. Bake for 12 minutes and serve warm.
Mary Jane gave this recipe only a 2 out of 5 wooden spoon rating. She says it’s a very mediocre muffin that is bland and plain. Her suggestions for jazzing up the recipe is to use this instead:
Baby Blueberry Dutch Babies
Based on a recipe by Kim Ode
Kim suggests serving these with a dollop of yogurt, or a shower of powdered sugar. I agree. A little drizzle of pure maple syrup doesn’t hurt either. -Mary Jane
Prep time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 40 minutes
1 cup flour
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Grated zest of 1 small lemon, about 2 tsp.
About 2 cups fresh blueberries
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut each tablespoon of butter into 6 equal pieces (equal to 1/2 teaspoon). Place a piece of butter in each cup of a nonstick 12-cup muffin pan. Place pan in the oven until the butter melts, about 1 minute.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into each buttered cup. Measure out a cup of berries. Drop just shy of 2 tablespoons of berries onto each cup of batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, the puffs will immediately begin to deflate. Run a knife around the edges to remove and drop more berries into each cup. Serve warm.