Updated: 12/21/2012 5:07 PM
Print Story |
John Hanson’s Scallop Pie
John Michael Lerma has been cooking with John since 2008 – and have since become good friends. John Michael created a dish in honor of John.
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic seasoning blend
2 tablespoons good-quality sherry
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups fresh scallops
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Biscuit topping, see below
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Lightly spray 4 (4.5 inch/8 ounce) Emile Henry Mini Pie Dishes with non-stick cooking spray. Place pie dishes on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large heavy bottom skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender (especially carrots), stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes (to remove the flour taste), stirring constantly. Stir in garlic seasoning, sherry and cheese. Stir in half-and-half, and cook 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove mixture from heat and gently fold in scallops and melted butter. Carefully spoon filling into prepared pie dishes. Cover and set aside.
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon garlic seasoning
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup whole buttermilk
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Bisquick, cornmeal, garlic seasoning, and cheese. Stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon the biscuit topping evenly over each mini pie dish (about 3 per dish).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden. Makes 12 biscuits to top 4 mini pie dishes