Posted: 12/07/2012 2:39 PM
Print Story |
Saucy Dippin’ Chicken Nuggets
It can be hard to get a healthy dinner on the table quickly but Registered Dietician from Fast Fixin’, Katherine Mora has some ideas!
Fast Fixin’ Chicken nuggets
1 Package Israeli or Pearl (large) CousCous (can substitute quick cooking brown rice)
Fresh Broccoli, chopped and Baby Carrots– steamed (can substitute other vegetable of choice)
Sauces for Dipping (see separate recipes below)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place frozen chicken nuggets flat on baking sheet, approximately 2-6 nuggets per serving.
- While oven is preheating and chicken nuggets are baking:
- Cook couscous according to package directions.
- Steam broccoli and carrots until desired texture.
- Prepare sauce (see recipes below)
- When nuggets, couscous, and vegetables are completed, plate and serve with dressing or sauce. For complete meal- serve with pineapple and mandarin orange slices (fresh or canned), and/or glass of skim or low fat milk.
3 Sauce Recipes:
- Fresh Spinach Dressing (recipe above)
Serve as dipping sauce for nuggets and/or spoon over vegetables.
- Simple Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 Cup chili sauce
1 Cup apricot jelly (can substitute grape or other flavor)
Combine chili sauce and jelly in saucepan and heat over medium heat until warm.
Spoon sauce over couscous, nuggets, and vegetables. Can add chicken nuggets to the sauce and heat, similar to meatballs. Can use as separate dipping sauce.
3. Dijon Sauce
1 cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube
(can use 1 ½ cup of chicken broth in place of water and bouillon cube)
2 Tbsp Dijon-style (spicy) mustard
2 Tbsp flour
½ cup skim milk (can substitute with evaporated skim milk)
Bring water and bouillon cube to boil, simmer until bouillon cube is dissolved. In separate small bowl mix flour and milk. Thicken the broth into smooth, creamy sauce by slowly stirring in the flour- milk mixture. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Use spoon to drizzle sauce over nuggets, couscous, and vegetables. Can use as separate dipping sauce.